1.22.2006

Cheryl L. Sattler

"Bathtub Daydream"
13" x 19"


Materials and Process: As in all my work, I make a variety of components and assemble the final piece in stages. For this work, I created the breasts with pot melts, the belly with a wire drop, the pink thigh with a separate wire drop, and the blue thigh with a composition of crushed irridized glass and streamer glass with white-out, tattoo-like embellishments. The components are surrounded with crystal clear frit and a strip-cut yellow border. The piece was dammed and then cleaned up on a wet belt sander, then re-fused to add the bubbles and foot on the surface. The toenail polish is Paradise Paint.

Content / Intent Statement: I spend a long time thinking about how "I" see myself. Quite literally, I realized that I only see my body, never my face (unless in a mirror, and that's technically backwards). At the same time, a faceless woman is "every woman" - and as a feminist, I strongly believe that what happens to one of us, happens to all of us. The setting is pure whimsy: I spend alot of time in the tub dreaming - at the end of a long day I lose myself in bubbles and thought. (That's also when I see myself naked.) In a dream, why bother to be realistic with color or proportion? So I foreshortened my torso- sometimes I feel that I'm all belly and breast and thigh - and propped onefoot on the edge of the "tub." I almost put a rubber duckie in the assemblage, but decided that might be a bit much.

1 comment:

Cynthia Oliver said...

Eclectic. Various methods to describe various aspects of Woman. Neat perspective.