1.22.2006

Enid Traisman

"This Tribe of Mine"
9" x 9"




Detail of back


Materials & Process: 9 inch square Bullseye Tekta base. A variety of colors and types of bullseye glass including frit and stringer cut, nipped, arranged and layered to create design. Fired once, a full fuse at 1465 for 10 minutes.

Content / Intent: It was interesting and telling for me to discover that my self-portrait is not just me, by myself. At this point in my life I see myself as part of my family unit which includes a hubby, two teenage children, two big dogs and 3 cats. Within the chaos of any given moment I find joy and refuge in my little studio in my basement.
I like how I seemed to capture a “moment in time”. My hair looks wild and crazy, the kids are ready to take off and the pets anchor me. Hmmmm, I wonder what my self-portrait will look like a couple years from now….

Learning Curve: This was the 3rd piece I ever made. I learned a lot…
Don’t put the glass right up to the edges of the kiln shelf, it will melt over.
Be sure to take the white writing off the glass BEFORE firing or it becomes permanent.
Little pieces of glass may jump around and shift during firing…i.e. hair.
Confetti glass with pink is not a good choice for daughter’s dress, she is see-through!
Cranberry confetti turns brown on vanilla, not a good choice for rosy cheeks.
Mostly, remember to enjoy the whimsical quality of creating with this medium.

4 comments:

Cynthia Oliver said...

I'm just a few beats ahead of you in the "kids using their wings" time of life...and the beasts anchor me as well... Nicely done and I'm glad you contributed to this endeavor.

Anonymous said...

No way this is only your third piece! Great family portrait.
Marty P

Anonymous said...

If this is just your 3rd piece I can't wait to see your future work. Gotta love that family - you did good.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

I love that you included your family in your portrait! Great work!

JoAnn