3.19.2006

Barbara Muth

“Inside Me”
(WIP 2006)
14" x 14” x ½"





Materials and Process: Technique was simple, so far. I piled up squares of glass and fired them all together. Next step is to add words. I don’t know yet what technique I will use for the words.

Content / Intent Statment: I have been thinking a lot about how colors can represent emotions and experiences. Our vocabulary is full of such allusions. The work I have been doing lately is mostly about feelings related to experiences. Sometimes I throw in a figure drawing, sometimes I don’t.

So, this isn’t a drawing of my face. Surprise! (You would have been more likely to get a drawing of my knee, or my hands, maybe my back.) Rather, this piece is a portrait of my inner life. My intent was to systematically portray how I am interacting with the world through the use of small fields of color. I was surprised, as the project evolved, to see how much light was in the piece. I had expected it to be darker. That sort of gives me some hope, that maybe the dark moods that seem to color my life these days are not as strong or as deep as I had imagined. It was a hard project for me, coming at a time when lots of other things were happening. Introspection was more difficult than I had expected it to be.

I apologize for submitting a work still in progress.

http://bmuthmostlyglass.blogspot.com/

bmuth@barbaramuthglass.com


2 comments:

Cynthia Oliver said...

And as it's still in progress...I'll wait for the other shoe to drop. I know there's more light to come.

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you reached pretty far inside to pull out the ideas & thoughts that went into this. I like the connections between emotions and colors - I'm going to be giving that thought. I don't think of it so much as unfinished but maybe where you're at right now. The future will change things.

Elizabeth