1.22.2006

Mike Byers

"Self-Portrait ~ Reflections in a Dichroic Eye"
24" x 24"


Materials and Process: Medium: fused glass and bronze on steel plate.
Notes: I used Bullseye, CBS dichro, Uroboros, GNA and DTI/Wasser for this piece; all 90COE glass. It was done at a fairly low temperature; about 20 minutes at 1350 in my Paragon GL22. The carbon steel plate was treated with hydrochloric acid, given several coats of Penetrol and finished with paste wax and steel wool. Liquid Nails adhesive for granite and marble was used to attach the glass to the steel plate; the center of the plate where the glass is mounted was not finished with acid, Penetrol or wax. The piece hangswith a French cleat that is attached to the steel with countersunk screws.

Content / Intent Statement: This is more-or-less a cartoon in glass; I used all the typical things I tend to use in my fused glass pieces: black glass, irids, bronze rod and a touch of dichro.

www.ravenglass.org

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed this whimsical self-portrait. You can't help but think this character has a great sense of humor. Marty P

Anonymous said...

The portrait is great but that beard is out of control.

Elizabeth

Cynthia Oliver said...

This is the first one I recieved. Mike gets the prize for being an earlybird. I love the illustration approach you took. It's a fun and lighthearted piece.

Anonymous said...

I liked it very much, humor and warmth.