3.18.2006

Dolores Barrett


"My Icon"
5" x 2 3/4"
Process & Materials: The base for the portrait is fused from two different kinds of glass, namely, Bullseye’s translucent white under the figure painting and Sandberg’s rainbow dichroic for the background base. The figure was hand-painted in thin washes over seven low-temp firings with traditional china paints. The background was applied in a solid layer of 24K roman gold, fired, then “windows” were sandblasted in a Klimt-like pattern. Black and white and colored “jewel” enameled accents were applied and fired. The Swirled background motifs were hand-etched with an agate etching tool.
Content / Intent Statement: I’ve based my portrait on several influential factors in my life. First, I incorporated my experience in porcelain portraiture; I literally pulled out my porcelain palette and treated the glass like a porcelain canvas. I based the elaborate background ornamentation on the work of impressionist painter, Gustav Klimt and the holy icons of the Greek Orthodox churches. It was important to me to use the realistic painting techniques I’ve developed over the last few years of my artistic life juxtaposed with the abstract, free style I’ve explored in my glasswork. This work combines all of my worlds I hold so dear.
Detail

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first glance I thought this was piece stunning. Then I saw the dimensions and realized how small the piece is and added amazing to my description.
Marty P

Cynthia Oliver said...

My first thought was Klimt, or illuminata. This is lovely and complex. I adore the connection to icon.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece. So small too!

Anonymous said...

This is just beautiful and I can't belive how smoothly you combined various techniques.

Elizabeth