3.16.2006

Joseph Edmunds


"Seduction of Misery
(and the Weeping Soul)"

Dimensions: Glass(48.7cm X 30.2cm X .4cm), Base(12.2cm X 18.6cm), Overall(53.8cm X 30.2cm X .4cm)
Process & Materials - Glass: 2 tombstone shaped float glass blanks. Blank 1 painted with white Bengal paint, underfired to C-018, facial features shaded with black and gray underglaze pastels. Body outline on blank 2 brush painted with Bengal black, underfired to C-018, then finger painted with Bengal black. Blanks were stacked and full fused on textured kiln wash to C-012. Base: PVC pipe cap slotted with a die grinder, then sprayed with blackboard paint(3 coats).



Detail of finger painted surface
Content / Intent Statement: Wallowing in feelings of self-pity and desperation. An exercise in futility, isolation, and despair. Being backed into a corner, with the belief that there are no options. The end result being the realization that without hope, all ventures are ultimately doomed to fail. We are not the products of our environment, but rather, how we react to our environment. A snapshot of the human condition in it's darkest hours.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

At first glance, I didn't realize who Joseph Edmunds was....thought you were probably from England...the pale skin and all. Fantastic job Skin!....but you got some serious issues to resolve dude. Stan

Anonymous said...

At first glance, I didn't realize who Joseph Edmunds was....thought you were probably from England...the pale skin and all.
Fantastic job Skin!....but you got some serious issues..... ;-) Stan

Anonymous said...

Do I need to say it again!....give me a break.....Repetative man....Stan

Cynthia Oliver said...

Dark and disquieting. I hope the light is coming. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Absoulety stopped me dead in my tracks(or atleast in my chair anyways.) Dark but engaging. Leslie

Skin Mechanic said...

I sent the link to the SO, Terry wasn't too happy with my comments about the piece, but that's what my life was like back when I was a teen. Twenty years and a Celexa script has shown me that life can be good. Although those feelings of turmoil and chaos are a distant memory, I feel drawn to the darkness and the violent energy of those extreme emotions. Misery can be VERY seductive. The crushing lows, the ecstatic highs, like a pendulum swinging at the speed of death. I'm glad I went with this dark piece, to provide some balance to everybody's happy self portraits=8^D

Anonymous said...

Teen - that explains a lot. With all those hormones and emotions swirling around things can be very dark. I like the starkness of this piece and the backround.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Your work is always edgy. I like that. Very cool!

JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Joseph, Yes, it is a good balance to the lighter portraits. Nicely done, Susan B