3.10.2006

Judi Charlson

"Artist Reinventing Her Life"
13"H x 10"W x 3 1/2"D
Materials and Process: Kiln cast glass.
Weight : 27 pounds
Date: 2006
The images are in negative relief. Two separate molds were made. One of the artist's face and then another of artist's hands sculpting the plaster mold of face.
The lost wax method was used, and Bullseye Crystal clear cullets were melted into mold via flower pot crucible . The blue color was obtained by painting copper powder mixed with Elmer's glue on specific areas.
The surface was polished with diamond angle grinder.

Detail

Content / Intent Statement: My intent was to show that I seem to be constantly reinventing myself.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Judi, I would love to see this up close. I'm sure the pictures don't come close to doing it justice. 27pounds???? Another person willing to shove their face... in the name of "art". I feel like such a slacker. Stan

Cynthia Oliver said...

Your hands remolding the face, or so it suggests is a nice image. It's a bit haunting. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

I like the concept - shaping your face, yourself. I like the way you used the blue to highlight areas. Glass is just so elusive to photograph, especially the thicker pieces. You just can't capture the true depth. This needs to be seen.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Very cool work! I love the way you worked your hands into the piece.
The coloring is striking as well!

JoAnn

Anonymous said...

Soooo much emotion in this great piece. No words, just a feeling that something has hurt for a long time. Excellent. Leslie Rowe-Israelson

Anonymous said...

Of all the many fine works on this site, it feels like you truly captured what is deep inside your soul with an eloquent expression. The blue trail through it is cold, yet mournful. Many thanks for sharing it. I would enjoy seeing more of your work.

Mike Korpa