3.10.2006

Kevin Midgley


"Mushed Me #1"
10" x 14"


Materials and Process: Shoved my face into a mold mix and sputtered afterwards. Not a totally pleasant experience, particularly picking it out of breathing passages when one needs to breathe. It was one I wanted to explore for its possibilities and to see what could be made of it. The glass is ordinary float so it didn't flow in the slump as much as an art glass, which might have yielded different results. The failed areas of the mold surprisingly don't hide all of my facial features.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevin, I don't know you but I admire anybody that would shove their face in mold mix in the name of "art". I now drink to you...of course I will drink to alot of things..... Salute, Stan

Cynthia Oliver said...

Challenging process, eh? But half the fun is accepting the challenge to see what it gets you. Thanks for playing with us...and for sharing your smushed visage.

Anonymous said...

Love the guts it took just to make this visage. Very interesting work.

DOLORES

Anonymous said...

Maybe it should be "Brave Me" I can only imaging getting mold mix out of hair. Very nice.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

*Laughing* I've actually considered doing this!
Great job~

JoAnn

Anonymous said...

I actually love this piece very much for the spontenuity in it. I too had a fun time with the mold material as when my husband was applying it too my face he had never done it before and was being very gentle, I on the other hand was shouting from the side of my mouth, get agrressive, push, harder, Tee Hee, ! Well if a fly on the wall was listening, they would have fallen to the floor in tears of laughter. The worst part is that he did not know to keep away from the hair line, Well!!! it stuck so badly I had to cut my bangs to get the mold off. Save the mold, the hair will grow back. Tee Hee again. What a hoot. Leslie Rowe-Israelson