3.23.2006

Welcome

Interpretations of self front

Welcome to our Virtual Gallery
Several months ago I put forward the idea of creating self portraits to a community of glass workers, who learn about and share their knowledge and passions on the Warm Glass Bulletin Board.
http://www.warmglass.com/
The accomplishments of thirty-nine glass artists who took on this challenge both technically and creatively by exploring this concept, are seen here in this Virtual Gallery.
The artists presented have used a variety of kiln forming techniques to create their Interpretations of Self. There is a wide range of artists represented, from professional glass workers to those who do this as an avocation. They are all passionate about glass, kiln-forming and creating, which is evident in the work they've created.

I wanted to thank those who participated in this project, and those who offered advice and support in putting this all together. It was a great deal of fun for me. I learned a lot in the process of making my own portrait and in setting up this site.
Enjoy your visit.

Cynthia Oliver
All works depicted here are protected by copyright and should not be reproduced and/or copied without the express permission of the respective artists.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

To all my SP friends...you did great stuff and I'm so pleased you decided to paricipate and share your work with us all.

I've got a plate with a few dolmathes, some soft feta, hummus, calamata olives, thinly sliced baguette and grilled eggplant that was marinated in a balsamic, garlic and olive oil mixture. Yum. I hope they bring out the tray of fruit soon.
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

a friend, my daughter, son (all the way from wisconsin!) and i thoroughly enjoyed the show. all the talent and work give me hope that someday i will be better. thanks a lot. oh we enjoyed the wine and cheese...thanks.
lynn in nc

Anonymous said...

I wish I could comment on each and every one of the pieces but am having a cooking day with my son. Maybe later - if he lets me - I will share some of our cookies.

It just blows me away how different each piece is but with the common idea behind them.

They really are so inspiring to someone that is newly addicted to glass..... ahhhh the possiblities!

Thanks!!
:)
Holly

Anonymous said...

I have the cheese tray and a great Brunello that I've been saving for something special.

I just love the work and will probably spend most of this evening leaving comments. But most of all I want to thank Cynthia for making this happen for us.

ELizabeth

Anonymous said...

This project has been an ongoing event in our household since the beginning. Stan was the impetus, drug me kicking and screaming into the project. My daugher has been the critic/advisor as we worked and reworked our "selves."

We were afraid we were going to be late to the reception, but we made it. Stan and I are in our home office, each on our own computer, drinking wine and giggling while we write notes to our fellow artists (or Stan's fellow artists. I'm a lowly school psychologist/glass hobbyist).

Thanks so much, Cynthia, for taking on this monumental task and giving the Harmon/Pitcairn household an exciting project to work on.

Now, where the hell are we going to put these things?

Marty P

Anonymous said...

Hello To All Who Shared Their Work! I'm glad I came upon this wonderful show! How relaxing and so inspiring. I'm glad to see works of some old friends and new friends! Keep me posted of any future "shows". Congrats on a show well done!
Licha
Marietta, GA

Anonymous said...

You know what I really hate?....not seeing a Bert Weiss self portrait...........wait a minute.............I think Don Burt painted it for him!!!



Don't hurt me Bert...Stan

Cynthia Oliver said...

There are a few that we missed out on. Maybe if this happens again...there will be a whole new lot of players.

I had fun. Thanks for a lovely ride.

Anonymous said...

Anyone have the morning after pill for slight headaches!!!! Too much champagne. Thanks again Cynthia. It was a road well traveled, with great little sight seeing along the way. Leslie Rowe-Israelson