1.29.2006

Ron Coleman

"Self Portrait"
9" x 11" x 4"



Materials and Process: Bullseye, 1401 crystal clear cullet cast in a plaster/silica mold.The original art work was carved in ceramic clay and a silicone rubber mold was made from it. The rubber mold was used to make a plaster/silica mold for casting. The back and edges of the finished piece are coldworked and it is mounted on a piece of granite.

Content / Intent Statement: I was really pleased with the results of this piece, since I've never attempted to do any life forms before.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ron, I've just started to dabble in coldworking and casting.... I can really appreciate the level of skill this piece required. I like the marble, does it work anything like glass? Are you really my 5th grade math teacher? Stan

Anonymous said...

WOW! Excellent rendering in glass. I admire your portrait and carving skills.

DOLORES

Cynthia Oliver said...

You are really something Ron. This is your first attempt at carving a likeness in clay? Well clearly you done good.

Skin Mechanic said...

Ditto that Cynth, this kiln carving has the precision of a minting die, one shouldn't expect anything less from Ron. The level of detail is excellent, and the frosted carving is perfectly balanced by the seeding and striations in the surrounding glass.

Anonymous said...

Ron, This piece is wonderful, and extremely well done. I am so impressed with your work and I especially love this new direction you have chosen. Sometimes simplicity is beautiful. I have a real problem with going simplictic and I should learn from you. Leslie Rowe-Israelson

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments everyone.

This really was a carving first for me and I was pleased with it. You just have to try new techniques and keep plugging along till it's finished.

To Stan

For the granite base I used the same coldworking tools, wet saw and lap grinder that I use for glass. Edge polishing the granite is another story and I'm still working on it.

Leslie

I always want to add more to my pieces but have a problem deciding what to add, so I usually end up leaving things out.

Ron