2.02.2006

Susan Bradshaw


"Blue Moon Dancer"
11 inches diameter

Materials & Process: Bottom layer BE 0112-50 mint green. This was topped with hammered 1101, 1101-03, and 1101-02, and dusted with 0144-08 teal green. Middle layer, 9 1/2 inch circle of BE 1442-50 neo-lavender. This was topped with hammered 1101, 1101-03, and dusted with 1116-08 turquoise blue. Top layer BE 1101-50. Painting used Sunshine Enamels, black, chestnut, mandarin, and turquoise, mixed with CMC and diluted with alcohol. They were brushed on. Some of the color variation is the thickness of the enamel, some is how the enamels were mixed together. It was fused in a kiln.

Content / Intent Statement: I signed up for this to stretch myself and my glass work. I very rarely do human figures, and wanted to do something relatively realistic. I dance in public only by the light of the blue moon, but when I am working with glass, listening to my favorite music I dance in my studio. I like wearing hats and swirly dresses. I like painting with water colors. This is my first painting with glass enamels, and I can tell I am going to like painting with them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've come back to look at this piece several time. There's a lot of feeling here and it make me want to find my dancing shoes.

Elizabeth

Cynthia Oliver said...

I can see the joy. Good color too. Keep on dancing.